My favorite books of the year: I went through my Goodreads list to see which books I gave five stars this year in no particular order.
1. The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carringer. I won these five books and loved every minute of every read. I’d had them on my TBR list for a while and I’m really glad I got around to reading them.
2. The Immortal Circus by AR Kahler. This was an Amazon subscription of chapters and it sucked me right in. It’s darker than The Night Circus but no less imaginative and engrossing.
3. The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay. Engrossing and touching, this was a random internet recommendation from Brittany of The Curvy Girl Guide.It encapsulates so much of what is great and terrible about growing up and falling in love and figuring out what love is, that it’s just hard to convey how much I loved it. I recommended it to everyone.
4. Talullah Rising by Glen Duncan. I think I enjoyed this more than The Last Werewolf. Talullah was the most vibrant character in the first novel and Duncan doesn’t disappoint in giving her her own story. You don’t have to have read the first book, but it might help.
5. Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers. Second in a series about assassins trained in a convent. I dig the idea of nuns training hired killers and the book does an amazing job taking complex girls with tough jobs and making them think their way around the structure they’ve been given.
6. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore. Adventure novels with girl protags that I can’t recommend highly enough. Each of these books can stand alone but they’re so good you’ll want to read them all anyhow.
What were your favorite books of last year?